Buying Catch Up Post
Hello and welcome to the new edition of the Reckless Records blog.
This Blog was written to the sounds of :
We've had a bit of a bumper month, with a lot of serious buying!
1) I purchased a really great Rock and Soul vinyl collection, around 3000 items. The collection included lots of Classic Rock, Motown, Vertigo Records titles, Canterbury Scene, Punk, Heavy Metal, Folk Rock, Singer Songwriter, Blues, Hard Rock, New Wave, Jazz Fusion, Deep Soul, Thrash Metal etc. The collection was roughly two thirds bought new and one third bought second hand. The second hand titles are generally VG to VG+ but the titles he bought originally are in tip top condition. So there are lots of titles that you don't often see in NM conditon - and a lot of first pressings. Plenty of LPs from Marvin Gaye, Metallica, Kevin Ayers, Van Der Graaf Generator, Motorhead, Soft Machine, The Supremes, Ann Peebles, Kiss, The Clash, Nucleus, Frank Zappa, Hawkwind, Gong, Popol Vuh, Neu!, Kraftwerk, Can, Faust, The Zombies, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Irma Thomas, Anthrax, Sex Pistols, Gentle Giant, Stevie Wonder, The Kinks, Small Faces, Teenage Fanclub, The Specials, Stiff Little Fingers, Slayer, Beach Boys, Genesis, King Crimson, Diana Ross, Iron Maiden, Edgar Broughton Band, Iggy & The Stooges, Television, Patti Smith, New York Dolls, America, Amon Duul, Tangerine Dream, The Pretty Things, Them, Van Morrison, Egg, Caravan, John Mayall, Elton John, The Pink Fairies, Sonic Youth, Fairport Convention, Cat Stevens, Dusty Springfield, The Electric Prunes, Captain Beefheart, David Bowie, The Undertones, The Allman Brothers, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep, Nirvana, Kevin Coyne, Spacemen 3, The Go-Betweens, Marillion, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, The Smiths, Miles Davis, Santana, John Coltrane, Magma, The Damned, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Sly & The Family Stone, The Who, Dr John, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Julian Cope, Ramones, Savoy Brown, Keef Hartley Band, Bakerloo, Cocteau Twins, George Michael, Link Wray, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, Stray, Nick Drake, Deep Purple etc. We've probably got about 4/500 of these out, and we've had loads of other things coming in since but hopefully all the classic sections will have some really nice original copies in for quite some time.
2) Scott was out at a really great dance collection yesterday that was made up of a few thousand classic House, Techno, Rave, Progressive, Breakbeat, Acid, Chicago, Hardcore, Hip House, Old School, Rap titles. The great thing about this collection is that he was buying relatively big well known tunes (Gat Decor "Passion", Frankie Knuckles "Your Love", The Prodigy "Out Of Space", Shut Up And Dance "Lamborghini", Big Daddy Kane "Ain't No Half-Steppin", Adonis "No Way Back", Meat Beat Manifesto "Radio Babylon" etc) but they are all in amazing condition,, still in the shrink. He really looked after his records! There are also plenty of obscure tunes here too. He lives in East London, and there are a loat of East London tunes here !
3) Two members of staff have decided to sell a lot of their records in (one their whole collection!). One is made up of loads of great classic 80's-90's Indie Rock, Psychedelic, Garage, Beat, Techno, Rock, some Rap and a few Dub records. Some really, really brilliant records here from artists like My Bloody Valentine, Teenage Fanclub, The Beatles, The Byrds, Augustus Pablo, Slam, Aphex Twin, Dinosaur JR, Meat Puppets, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Minutemen, 13th Floor Elevators, Scientist, The Residents, Tad, Butthole Surfers, Beastie Boys, Husker Du, Swervedriver, Global Communication, The Pastels etc. The other collection is made up of a lot of really great rare Jazz, Free Jazz, Spiritual Jazz - and includes lots of Japanese pressings!
4) Tonnes of Classic Rap CDs.
5) A barrage of Soul and Funk 45s from one seller.
6) Lots of pricey new Jazz titles (with a few reissues thrown in). Including lots of modern UK Jazz artists.
7) Some Classic Rock and Northern Soul CDs.
8) Lots of excellent Progressive and Psychedelic CDs including titles from Stray, Blossom Toes, Family, Trees, Kaleidoscope, Hawkwind, Circus, Scott Walker, Free, Ten Years After, Fairfield Parlour, Grapefruit etc.
9) Some rare titles from Depeche Mode.
10) A small collection which consisted of titles from Zola Jesus, Billie Holiday, Queen, Lady Gaga etc.
11) Some excellent Indie and Noise Rock LPs and 12"s from Swans, Butthole Surfers, Pram, The Jesus Lizard, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Throwing Muses, Loop etc.
12) More classic CDs from Bobby Womack, Inner Circle, Johnny Osbourne, Cathedral, David Murray Quartet, Saxon, Frupp, Motorhead, Notorious BIG, 2Pac, The Rolling Stones etc.
13) A mixture of CDs, Tapes and LPs from Lamb, The Breeders, The Pixies, The House Of Love, The Wedding Present etc.
14) Lots of Reissue LPs from one seller - genres were all across the board, almost 100 titles.
15) Some nice Soundtrack LPs (as well as some My Bloody Valentine and Mobb Deep LPs!).
16) A nice CD collection which included titles from Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, Rick Wakeman, Tangerine Dream, David Bowie, Mike Oldfield etc. All special edition box sets!
17) Some classic LPs from Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Richie Havens, Black Sabbath etc.
18) A huge stack of Latin LPs.
19) Quite a few sellers selling classic House and Techno, and a few batches of new titles (The Trilogy Tapes, L.I.E.S. etc)
20) More great LPs from Hot Chip, Max Richter, James Taylor, The Rolling Stones etc.
21) A great Avant Rock CD collection including hundreds of titles from Material, William Burroughs, Pere Ubu, Evan Parker, Brian Eno, Television, Albert Ayler, The Fall, Fred Frith etc. There was a lot of Free Jazz/Improv and Roots Reggae in the collection too. Apparently plenty more to come.
22) Classic Rock LPs from Hookfoot, Iron Butterfly, Groundhogs, Heads Hands & Feet, Taste etc.
23) Lots of reissues of Prog monsters including Dark, Catapilla, Dr Strangely Strange etc.
24) A mixed bag from one seller including titles from Galaxie 500, Napalm Death, Utopia, Sonic Youth etc.
25) Some LPs, 12"s and Cds including Norman Jay, Big L, Sizzla, Sons Of Kemet etc.
26) Classic LPs from Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan etc.
27) Some title from an ex member of staff including some Hardcore Techno, a nice Jackie McLean on Blue Note and some Electro.
28) Lots of nice LPs from one seller including titles from Queen, Can and The Misfits etc.
29) More CD box sets - this time from Yes, Queen, Led Zeppelin, John Martyn etc.
30) More classic Rock & Pop LPs from Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie etc.
31) Some excellent Jazz reissues (including titles from Lou Donaldson and Grant Green).
32) Lots of Indie Rock LPs and 45s from High Llamas, Sleaford Mods, Gorillaz, Julianna Barwick etc.
33) Some decent Punk Rock LPs from The Slits, Stiff Little Fingers, The Damned etc.
34) Large pile of LPs and 12"s on the Stiff label.
35) Some decent Reggae 45s including titles from Hugh Mundell and Delroy Wilson.
36) More good Progressive CDs from Tudor Lodge, Faust, Savoy Brown etc.
37) Some great Classical LPs and some Modern Classical too (including some LPs from John Tavener and Jacqueline Du Pre).
38) A load of Hip Hop 12"s.
39) Some really good LPs from The Triffids, Peaking Lights, Foetus, The Birthday Party, Nick Cave etc. Also a lot of Psych revival stuff.
40) Some nice records off a pal of ours including titles from Ten Years After, Jon Gibson, Tubby Hayes, Bazooka etc.
41) Big ol' Iron Maiden CD box set.
42) New LP titles from Bob Marley, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Paul Simon, Michael Jackson, Guns N Roses, AC/DC etc.
43) More great Japanese issues of classic titles from a member of staff who's just been to Japan including Kate Bush, Yellow Magic Orchestra, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Abba, T Rex, Supertramp, Janis Joplin, Scott Walker etc.
44) Some interesting LPs from This Mortal Coil, Molly Nilsson, Nico, Albert Ayler etc.
45) Rock vinyl including The Libertines (a pricey 45!), The Feelies, The White Stripes, Tame Impala etc.
46) Some sick CDs from Sleep, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, DMX, Metallica etc.
47) Some great Jazz CDs from Arve Henriksen, Alice Coltrane, EST etc.
48) Lots of titles on Strut.
49) Huge Damned collection - including lots of really rare bits.
50) Big stack of Folkways LPs.
This is just a small portion of whats been coming in - and we've got loads of great collections lined up so keep coming in and checking our social media!
We've put loads of great stuff out recently:
a) Indie Rock 45s
b) Reggae 45s (check the rare box behind the counter!)
c) Jazz vinyl
d) Some amazing Disco / Boogie 12"s
e) Brilliant House and Techno 12"s
f) Classic Rock LPs
g) Prog and Canterbury vinyl
i) 90s Alt and Grunge vinyl
Phew!!! See you soon!