Butcher Cover, Lovers Rock, Jungle, Death Metal....and so much more!
Hello to the new Reckless Records Blog!
This Blog was written to the sounds of:
We hope this new Blog finds you well (despite the score last night).
Record Store Day was pretty busy, and we've got another one on Saturday. Again we've got a fair bit of stuff - keep checking our Social Media as we'll be posting the titles were getting on there soon.
The buying has been fantastic recently, here's some of the things we've been buying:
1) I bought a really big Reggae collection from East London - roughly 4000 LPs, 12"s and 45s. There were also around 400 Soul, Funk, House and Misc titles too including a few rare Boogie and Disco 45s. Just before I had 2 weeks off I priced up a few hundred of the Reggae LPs and 12"s. The main batch was all Lovers Rock, he had a very large amount of Lovers records - probably more than I've ever seen at a collection before. Lots of classic titles here but also a few rare and obscure titles (quite a few of them had huge wants figures on Discogs for example). I put a few pictures up on our Instagram which is worth checking. The Lovers section is seriously stacked now and will probably get a bit bigger this week as I'm back in tomorrow! There were also a few Dub, early Dancehall and Roots titles that went out from Barry Brown, Twinkle Brothers, Scientist, Barrington Levy, Augustus Pablo etc. There was also a copy of Midnight by Willie Lindo - a personal favourite. There were roughly a thousand 45s, including loads of original Studio One (plus some original colour vinyl Studio Ones which are pretty hard to come by!), some great Dancehall, Rocksteady etc.
2) Several hundred Death and Black Metal LPs - old and new. I'll probably try to get some of these done this week.
3) A good friend (and colleague) also decided he'd had enough and sold us his big collection a few weeks ago and it was absolutely stonking!!! The collection is roughly 3-4000 LPs, 12"s, 45s and CDs and consisted of loads of Reggae, Avant Garde, Punk, Jungle, UK Garage, Metal, Industrial, Jazz, Pop, House/Techno, Dubstep, Soul, Hip Hop, Ambient etc. The Reggae is killer, and especially the Dancehall stuff. Loads of great 45s all organised by rhythm. A few big titles from artists like Dadawah, Freddie McGregor, Lee Scratch Perry, Horace Andy, Gregory Isaacs etc. The Jazz is brilliant, loads of Blue Notes, Japanese pressings, UK Jazz, Free Jazz. Amazing Jungle/Hardcore/Drum & Bass including some big boys from Tango, Dillinja, Source Direct, Peshay, DJ Crystl, Top Buzz, Mad Dog, Remarc, Photek, DJ Red Alert & Mike Slammer, Tom & Jerry, Q Project, LTJ Bukem, DJ Trace, Ed Rush, Orca, Noise Factory etc. The House and Techno too is just killer loads of Detroit, Acid, German Dub Techno, Moodymann, Drexciya, Underground Resistance, Robert Hood etc. Some other random amazing stuff from Sadus (one of the best Metal LPs ever), Bjork, Gang Starr, The Beatles, Motown, Loefah, Wu Tang Clan, Hawkwind, Nas, Cocteau Twins, The Cure, The Smiths, Throbbing Gristle, New Order etc. The CDs were all good too lots of Japanese Ambient and Avant Garde. Such an amazing collection really - still loads and loads to go out.
4) Some Indie bits from Fleet Foxes, Stereolab, Hot Chip and Ride.
5) Some Library LPs, some Aphex Twin and some Archie Shepp LPs.
6) Some UK Roots 12"s and LPs and UK Hip Hop.
7) Quite a few Industrial / Power Electronics LPs with some Psych thrown in for good measure.
8) LPs from The Fall, Velvet Underground, Richard Hawley, Throbbing Gristle, Joy Division etc.
9) Some Soul and Reggae from Nina Simone, Barry White, Mikey Dread, Quincy Jones, Konk etc.
10) Some real classics from Abba, Pink Floyd, Queen, Etta James, Kate Bush, Billy Joel etc.
11) Loads of Stud and BBE stuff including the new Sun Ra reissue!
12) More of the Industrial LPs from the same seller - this time loads more great stuff from Muslimgauze, This Heat, 23 Skiddoo, Chris & Cosey, Neu!, Ornette Coleman, Can, Pharaoh Sanders, Thomas Leer etc.
13) A nice selection of titles on Transmat, Legendary Pink Dots and some Philip Glass.
14) Tonnes more Reggae 45s including a few rarities - mostly 70s Roots Reggae with a few 60s titles in there.
15) A stack of 45s on the Sue label as well as some Island Reggae 45s in great shape.
16) Big Hip Hop collection with loads of great 90s and 00's LPs and 12"s. Quite a bit of RNB in there too. All vinyl.
17) An original Beatles Butcher cover!!!!! Incredibly rare - and the first one we have had for a really, really long time.
18) Tonnes more one off sales including Sun Ra, Pearl Jam, Prince, 2Pac, Oasis, Tracy Chapman, Mobb Deep, Cheap Trick, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Yusef Lateef, Bob Marley, Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, Jimmy Cliff etc.