An EXPLOSION of purchases!!
Good morning, and welcome to this weeks Reckless Records Blog!
This Blog was written to the sounds of:
Some amazing buying this week! Lets get to it!
1) On Saturday I was at a huge collection in South London that was absolutely brilliant. The collection was all in one room floor to ceiling, and absolutely packed full. It took me near enough a whole day to go through it all. It was fairly evenly split between LPs and 45s. The LPs and 12"s numbered around the 4000 mark and were made up of some big heavy Psychedelic hitters from artists like Spring, Stud, Nirvana (UK of course, All Of Us and The Story of Simon Simopath are both here), Beggars Opera, Led Zeppelin, Martha Velez, Small Faces, The Kinks, Traffic, Grin, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, The Beatles, UFO, Black Sabbath, Martha Velez, John Mayall, Wishbone Ash, Genesis, King Crimson, The Pretty Things, The Who, Groundhogs, The Zombies, Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, Pink Fairies, Stan Tracey (couple of nice 60s LPs including Jazz Suite and With Love From Jazz) etc. Also a lot of Classic Rock and Punk including Queen, The Undertones, XTC, Elvis Costello, Sex Pistols, Talking Heads, David Bowie, Blondie, The Rezillos, The Sweet, The B52s, Sonic Youth, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Motorhead, Depeche Mode, The Jam etc. Loads of amazing Reggae including loads of super clean UK Trojan LPs, Roots 12"s, Ska LPs: including LPs from The Ethiopians, Prince Buster, Derrick Morgan, Jimmy Cliff, Bob Marley, Tommy McCook, Derrick Harriott, Horace Andy, The Upsetters, Laurel Aitken etc. Hue amount of great Soul and Disco - including lots of rare UK and US first pressings from Curtis Mayfield, Irma Thomas, Lamont Dozier, The Temptations, The Elgins, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Donny Hathaway, Betty Harris, Leon Ware etc. There were a hell of a lot of UK Motown LPs, all really clean. The singles seemed endless - and again a real mixture but the best of it are endless clean UK Reggae and Ska 45s, lots of UK and US Soul 45s (including loads of rare ones I haven't seen before) and some awesome 60's / Mod / Freakbeat originals (some nice ones from The In Crowd, Les Fleur De Lys, The Poets, Timebox The World Of Oz etc). Its not all amazing stuff - as with any collections theres quite a lot of stuff that will go out really cheap or even be given to charity - but the good stuff is really good! It was obviously a real labour of love, from someone with great taste!
2) Secondly we had 4 huge boxes of brilliant Industrial, Experimental, Free Jazz, Electroacoustic, Synth and Avant Prog LPs and 12"s come in. Incredibly clean. So many fantastic records from Coil, Magma, Noctornul Emissions, Sun Ra, Charlie Mingus, Severed Heads, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Pere Ubu, Cabaret Voltaire, Robert Haigh, Can, Lol Coxhill, Genoice Organ, Ramleh, Nurse With Wound, Morton Subotnik, John Cage, Iannis Xenakis, Throbbing Gristle, Hatfield & The North, Soft Heap, Caravan, John Coltrane, Hawkwind, Foetus etc. There were also a hell of a lot of really obscure (but they seem pretty sought after) titles - including lots of Italian Dark Ambient from the 80s. Some seriously amazing records here - happy to have them in the shop.
3) Nice selection of LPs from The Fall, Tom Waits, Run The Jewels, The Pixies, The Replacements etc.
4) Some 70s and 80s LPs from Madonna, Alice Cooper, Man Dingo, U2, Pink Floyd, Elvis Costello, The Smiths, The Bealtes etc.
5) Mini CD collection featuring a super rare Velvet Underground CD box set (and plenty more from Sonic Youth, Nina Simone, Nine Inch Nails, Bob Dylan etc).
6) More classic LPs from John Martyn, Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan etc.
7) Several LPs from The Bevis Frond.
8) A great selection from Lee Konitz, The Beatles, Miles Davis, Love, Slaughter & The Dogs, Rainbow, Taj Mahal Travellers etc.
9) Another interesting CD collection including Toto, Slayer, Tangerine Dream, Sparks, Mott The Hoople, Black Sabbath. Mostly high end box sets.
10) Some sick Black and Death Metal from a friend of mine including Carved Cross, Kommodus, Opeth, Darkthrone etc.
11) Fantastic (but pretty well played Reggae 45 collection - including some super pricey 45s. Yabby You, Gregory Isaacs, Desmond Dekker, Stranger Cole etc.
12) Huuge Prince Box Set.
13) Toru sold in loads of great Jazz, Hardcore, Rap, House etc including: DJ Ron, Junior Tucker, Newban, Roy Davis JR etc.
14) Huge Avant CD collection including some great titles from Derek Bailey, Art Ensemble Of Chicago, La Monte Young, Ornette Coleman etc. Plenty of Classic Rock here too from Cream, Pink Floyd, The Animals etc.
15) Loads more random purchases which include LPs from Current 93, Galaxie 500, Public Image LTD, George Michael, Death Cab For Cutie, The National, Minutemen, Hasil Adkins, Captain Beefheart, Rollins Band, May Blitz, Nucleus, High Tide, Stereolab, Kraftwerk, The Smiths, Gil Scott Heron, King Crimson, John Holt, Pat Metheny, Juliana Hetfield, Nick Cave etc.
Fairly exhausting week for buying, its been great!
We've got loads of good stuff out this week too: House, Techno, Classic Rock, Industrial, Reggae, Indie Rock....loads of CDs, 45s, LPs.
Quite a few collections coming up so watch this space and keep checking our Instagram!