A buying FRENZY!!!!!
Hello and welcome to the new Reckless Records Blog Post!
This Blog was written to the sounds of:
Since we've reopened we've noticed a huge boost in buying, and top quality records too. The buying certainly hasn't died down at all since we reopened. Lets have a look at the buying since the previous blog:
1) In all of the years I worked here we would always get most excited when one seller would bring in big batches of incredibly rare and sought after Soul, Rare Groove, Funk bits. He'd just turn up with original records from Alice Clark, Placebo (Belgium), Sylvia Striplin etc like there was no tomorrow. Seriously killer records. Well we bought in a massive stack (about 20 big boxes) of them a couple of weeks ago. There are rare 45s, 12"s and LPs with the bulk of the ones that have gone out so far being 12" singles. The first batch we put out sold in minutes, was mad! There are some pretty rare bits in there from artists like Donna McGhee, Azymuth, Bill Withers, Baby Huey, Curtis Mayfield, Dazzle, Change, Darondo, Blair, Bridge, Circle City Band, Northend, Bobbi Humphrey, Don Ray, Cloud One, Betty Wright, 100% Pure Poison, Charles Earland, Bobby Womack, Dinosaur L, Barbara Acklin, Aged In Harmony, Bennie Braxton, Bernard Purdie, Betty Everett, Black Harmony, Brief Encounter, C-Brand, Dexter Wansel, Donald Byrd....you get the idea - and thats just from the first two boxes! The Soul section is absolutely packed at the moment - with some great records. Also a tonne of great 60's Soul and Motown has gone out from a collection last month.
2) Two more massive Industrial collections came in in the last 3 weeks. Loads of amazing (a lot of them look unplayed) condition LPs and 12"s. They are both a combination of Dark Ambient, Avant Garde, Neofolk, Canterbury Scene, Progressive Rock, Noise, Modern Composition, EBM....you get the idea. Some great records from Foetus, Muslimgauze, Nurse With Wound, AMM, The Klinik, Throbbing Gristle, Can, Kraftwerk, Steve Reich, Morphogenesis, Whitehouse, M.B., Lemon Kittens, Benjamin Lew, Ash Ra Tempel, Caravan etc. There are probably around 500 records in total.
3) An old friend of mine brought in a huge stack of mega obscure Italo Disco and Euro Pop/Bubblegum records. So sometime soon please expect us to have the biggest Italo Disco section in Soho! Around 100 12"s.
4) Scott was out at a collection on Saturday of a few hundred heavy Rap LPs including big boys from M.O.P., Wu Tang Clan, Nas, The Notorious BIG, A Tribe Called Quest, Gravediggaz etc. Some absolutely banging records, loads have gone out already dont sleep! There were also a load of 90s Drum n Bass 12"s which have gone out from the same collection.
5) From a regular seller: Britpop 45s, Bert Jansch LPs, Francois Hardy, The Audience, Alphabeat etc.
6) A load of LPs from one seller including titles from Augustus Pablo, The Boo Radleys, Neil Young.
7) Soul 45s from Linda Jones, Candi Staton, Lester Tipton...
8) Loads of great stuff from Toru including Arthur Lyman, Cecil Taylor, John McLaughlan, Mike Ink, Bossa Nova box set, Yusef Taleef, Don Cherry, DJ Duke, Pharaoh Sanders, O'Jays, Ingram Kingdom etc.
9) Lots of good House and Techno from a new seller including some really cool 12"s from Sasha (IT), DJ Funk, Underground Resistance, Carl Craig, Kevin Sanderson, LFO etc.
10) A small batch including Kevin Rowland out of print LP, Sleaford Mods 45, J Mascis and a few Soul 45s.
11) Another regular seller brought in titles on vinyl from Beverly Copeland, Manuel Gottsching, Brian Eno, some Rune Grammofon LPs, Pylon etc.
12) Some interesting CDs including a load of Nigerian Funk and Link Wray titles!
13) Some top tier Rock and Funk material - all LPs - from Metallica, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Mogwai, The Rolling Stones, James Brown, The Kinks. Lots of them new out of print pressings on colour vinyl.
14) The infamous DJ Kenny White brought in a meagre pile including Material, Don Rendell, David Sylvian, African Head Charge, Ash Ra etc. Some great records - but all handled very poorly!
15) Some modern RnB and Hip Hop from Justin Timberlake, Drake etc.
16) A load of Soul Reissue LP and 45s.
17) A Fairly regular seller brought in some nice records from Andrew Hill, Genesis, The Homosexuals, U2, Van Der Graaf Generator, Joni Mitchell and Prince.
18) A fairly hard to find Toad The Wet Sprocket LP.
19) A load of Synth and Psych reissue LPs!
20) Some really nice modern CD pressings from Parliament, the Bee Gees, Sparks, Miles Davis, Eddie Henderson.
21) More modern Hip Hop and RnB this time including a rare LP from the Sugababes! Plus more from Mariah Carey, Joe, Beyonce..
22) A load of titles from the Brian Jonestown Massacre.
23) Some decent Reggae from Wayne Jarrett, Earl 16, Augustus Pablo, Aquarius comp, Hugh Mundell etc.
24) Some nice vinyl from an old pal of ours including titles from Stereolab, Mac Demarco, Felt, Rhythm & Sound, Big Star etc.
25) Some massive vinyl box sets and new reissues from Queen, King Crimson, War Of The Worlds, John Lennon, Pink Floyd, Yoko Ono etc.
26) Random LPs from Pentagram, Swervedriver, Nick Cave, The Toy Dolls, The Damned, My Bloody Valentine etc.
The racks are choca with great titles at the moment, heres whats been going out:
A) The 45s are jam packed of goodies - all across the board.
B) Reggae vinyl is looking hench
C) Funk and Soul
E) Classic Rock
F) Industrial and Avant
G) Blues and Folk
H) Drum & Bass (Jungle is going out all the time too but sells in like 10 seconds
Keep checking in - we've got some big collections on the horizon!