Rory Milanes Top Ten
This week we have a Top Ten from our friend Rory Milanes!
Wicked DJ, amazing skateboarder and all round top geezer!
ROZAS TOP TEN
- Romanthony – The Wanderer (Black Male). Deep deep record! I have the “prescription” copy. “Journey Man Thump” is my most loved tune on this record. It has that amazing intro of him playing the guitar. It’s like a proper blues track – a black man singing his heart out. The lyrics really strike you. “There’s nothing left for me, no matter where I go. I’ll just keep on wandering until I loose control” “The cd Remix” I absolutely love that track too.
- Jeff Mills – Humana (AXIS). This record is so incredible. From the start to finish. I like how there’s the short ambient opener and then “Gamma player” drops. It really hit’s you in a powerful way. This was the first Jeff Mills song I had ever heard. Gamma Player is a masterpiece, and Jeff Mills is still the king!
Maurzio – Domina. The Maurizio mix – “Um TIS um TIS um TIS um TIS”! What an absolute banger! Sounds so good every time. I love this shit!The Carl Craig remix on the flip side. “Domina, Domina, Domina… then the bass kicks in OH MY GOD!!!!The tittle comes from an old Manuel Gottching track called “die dominas” which doesn’t sound like the original at all but it’s so sick how he turned it into this track. I love this era of Carl Craig.
- Rhythim is Rhythim (Transmat)- Kaotic Harmony. “Kaotic Harmony” I feel is a masterpiece too. There’s nothing on the planet like it. He’s a bloody genius! It was really amazing to see the keyboard in Submerge that he used to create all his amazing records with. Those strings you hear; you just know it’s Derrick May. My favourite thing about this record is that it was his last record (in 97 or something) and he just went out with such an amazing tune. I really really rate that.
- Robert Hood – Movable parts chapter 2 (M-Plant). It’s hard to pick my favourite Robert Hood record. He made so many amazing tracks and still seems to be putting out more. I first heard the the Untitled B1 tune on a Spencer Kincy mix. It’s quite a crazy track but I love it how the bass comes in and out. When I found the record and listened to the other side at home; I was completely blown away by the tune on the other side “The Grey Area”. It’s so dark and weird at the same time. It has such an epic intro. I love all the unusual sounds in it too. This is my favourite Robert Hood 12”!
- Underground Resistance – World 2 World (UR) How could I even begin to pick my favourite UR record? This was the first UR record that I heard, so that makes it special. I remember first hearing it… “WHAT”S THAT??”! It’s so quality! All the tracks are different, but all still have that classic UR sound.
- Claude Young and Terrence Parker – 4 play EP (DOW). Banging collaboration! Banging label! Two of some of my favourite producers making music together. So killer!! Every tune is next level.
- Phuture Acid tracks – “Acid Tracks”!!! I love that it just starts like a basic house tune and then gradually all the acid sounds come in and then it’s just going completely mental all of a sudden. Then on the B side “your only friend”. Everyone loves this track! How could you not? Crazy vocals; it’s like it’s the devil speaking! The baseline is so hard. Marshall Jefferson always had banging baselines. I love playing this out to wake people up!
- Aaron Carl – Crucified (soul city). I can’t even go on about how deep this record is. “Begging for attention from a world who doesn’t care, those who loved me also lied… I might as well be crucified”. Aaron Carl forever! RIP
- Ron Trent and Braxton Holmes – 12 Inches of pleasure (clubhouse). “Ron’s Foreplay” is my favourite from the EP. It’s so stylish. It always puts me in a good mood when I hear it. “Intercourse” to be fair, is just as amazing. I love those clicks and everything about it! It sounds so good coming in to another record.