Onton from Diat Top Ten
Somehow this got lost in my emails so please excuse the Christmas references.
Here we go then, Chris asked me to pick a top ten for the Recky Recs blog and I figured since you’re a record shop and it’s Xmas and all, maybe if I make a cheeky little list of want-but-don’t-haves you’ll be able to sort me out if you chance upon one or two of these some day?
MY TOP TEN RECORDS THAT ARE TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME TO BUY:
1. Hornsey at War – Deadbeat Revival. This is what Low Life would sound like if they were more honest.
2. Gareth Williams and Mary Currie – Flaming Tunes. Cheers for not ever repressing this Kiran “scared of making too much money” Sanders or whatever yer fuckin name is.
3. Nocturnal Projections – Another Year – probably what Flaming Tunes would have sounded like if they got bashed on the way home from school more
4. King Everald – Automatic. Got on a real digi dancehall trip this summer, probably thanks in large part to a Bad Boy Bress mix I came across in 2017 that first brought me to the Tempo Riddim.
5. Hortense Osbourne – Me A Smarter 7″. See what I mean?
6. Ok back to the UK which is the only music I care about… Thin Yoghurts – Girl on the Bus 7″ for the excellent B side, ‘Drink Problem’, an absolute anthem.
7. The Spunky Onions / The Ghettoberries – The Spunky Onions Meet The Ghettoberries At Templebeat Records 7″ Not sure how much I even like this anymore but it used to choke me up.
8. Peridots – Open Season 7″. same again, this one sounds like if Lou Reed was comin down off pingas instead of smack.
9. Skeptics – I will if I can CD(!) – this should actually be closer to the top of the list, it is an exquisite and crushing listen, I had to trawl forums to get a bloke to send me the mp3s for all of it, hit me up if you want me to forward them to you. Kinda sounds like a good Nine Inch Nails maybe?!
10. fxck, is that it already? well let’s say it’s a toss up between The Limp’s – Marked Man 7″ and Sardine V’s – I Hate You EP (thanks Itchy Bugger), both NSW bands, again, should be at the top of the list actually
oh F*CK, make it a top 12 then cos I absolutely love this Bourbonese Qualk song called Return to Order off this Preparing for Power EP, this is probably my number 1 actually, wanna make music that sounds like this but with a heavier dub influence.