Danny Howells Top Ten
This week we have a Top Ten from one of our favourite customers and superstar DJ the main man Danny Howells!!!
MY TOP 10 PRINCE B-SIDES .. today
1) Irresistible Bitch – in my opinion the first utterly essential Prince B-side. The man at his stripped down, funkiest best, and easily as good as anything on the 1999 album.
2) 17 Days – not just one of his best flip sides but one of his best tracks ever. MONSTER bass line.
3) Erotic City – needs little introduction as it’s one of his best known songs. And another stripped down dirty mutha of a tune.
4) She’s Always In My Hair – took me years to really appreciate this one, but now it’s probably my favourite b-side, and one of my all time favourite Prince songs.
5) Hello – has to be the 12″ version of this .. one of the few times Prince got really autobiographical in his lyrics, this song tells his version of the USA for Africa controversy and is a climactic slice of genius.
6) La, La, La, He, He, Hee – again, needs to be the 12″ for the full 10 minute insanity. Woof!
7) Housequake (7 Minutes Mo’Quake) – largely instrumental, jazzed out extension of the SoTT classic. Another total gem.
8) Scarlet Pussy – atmospheric and stripped, totally P-funky.
9) Alphabet St (This Is Not Music, This Is A Trip) – dub mix of Alphabet St, again (and as with all of these!) it needs to be the full strength 12″ JAM!!
10) Feel U Up – absolutely pisses all over the ghastly “Partyman”, which was the A-side. From the aborted Camille album hence pitched up vocals galore. Cheers!