Incredibly surreal times, as you probably know we are shut until it is safe to be open again. Hopefully this will all blow over sooner than later and they will find a cure. But for now, its isolation time.
This Blog was written to the sounds of…
I’m sure you’ve heard enough about Covid 19 and we’re hardly experts on that subject so lets get on with some Reckless news.
We bought a tonne of amazing Records and CDs recently:
- Al and I were at a huge collection in North London last Tuesday. It ended up being 5 people carriers worth of LPs, 12″s, 45s and CDs. Fantastic collection featuring Psych, Prog, Rock, Blues, New Wave, Punk, Jazz, Reggae, Dub, Ska, Afrobeat, Folk, Traditional, Classical, Disco, Soul, Motown, Exotica and Pop. The first section I went through was the Reggae and when the first LP you pull out is an older pressing of Heart Of The Congos you know its going to be good. Lots of top laminate sleeve Pama/Treasure Isle/ Coxsone as well as a load of Jamaican Studio One, Upsetters, Trojan, Blue Beat, Greensleeves, Island etc. Some super nice bits from Prince Buster, Gregory Isaacs, Keith Hudson, The Techniques, Bob Marley & The Wailers, Burning Spear, Phyllis Dillon, Don Drummond, Creation Rebel, The Skatalites, Jackie Mittoo, Prince Far I, Culture etc. I then went on to the Rock/New Wave and there was a load of very standard titles from The Police, Talking Heads, Blondie, David Bowie etc but so much of it! Lots of cheaps, but also a lot of good titles – and in there there were the odd top bit from The Go Betweens, My Bloody Valentine, Suicide etc. The next part was Psych, Prog and Classic Rock so some great titles (sometimes up to 5 copies of each LP – different pressings and varying condition) from people like McDonald & Giles, Quartermass, Gilgamesh, Caravan, Family, Led Zeppelin, Kevin Ayers, Nucleus, Hawkwind, Magma, Gong, Van Der Graaf Generator, Camel, Popol Vuh, Yes, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Soft Machine, Uriah Heap, The Running Man, Tudor Lodge, The Parlour Band, High Tide, Wishbone Ash, Beggars Opera, Genesis, Love, Grateful Dead, Groundhogs, Jo Ann-Kelly, Cream, Tangerine Dream, Rare Bird, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, The Beatles, Faust, Captain Beefheart, Frupp, Gentle Giant, Hatfield & The North, The Zombies, Small Faces, Indian Summer, Lucifers Friend, Frank Zappa, National Health, Supersister, Wigwam etc. Al went through thousands of singles and sadly there weren’t an awful lot of top titles but he did hit a nice run of 60s Ska and Rocksteady 45s. There was also a whole wall of 12″ singles which included a lot of Rock and Pop as well as Disco and Electro. The CDs were pretty decent – an awful lot of Blood & Fire/Trojan CDs as well as a lot of music from around the world. There was a lot of old fashioned Jazz but from time to time we came across proper titles from Miles Davis, Tubby Hayes, Ian Carr etc. Overall an absolutely mad collection – very up and down but with a lot of great titles. Lots of titles for each section of the shop thats for sure.
- On Monday a fairly regular seller brought in a huge stack of Vinyl, CDs and some cool toys. The toys were all music related – all boxed too: The Beatles, Iggy Pop and The Rolling Stones. Theyre all in the cabinet and will be available once we reopen. The records were first class: lots of very sought after issues (ie modern colour vinyl reissues, Music On Vinyl, Third Man colour pressings, Record Store Day – that kind of thing). Titles from Pearl Jam, The Melvins, Alice Coltrane, The White Stripes, John Lee Hooker, Father John Misty, Captain Beefheart, Neil Young, Mudhoney, Nirvana, King Crimson, Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Hole, David Bowie, Trees, L7 etc.
- Sean bought in a cool pile of Beat and Freakbeat reissue LPs (mostly 80s and 90s issues). Loads of great stuff from The Troggs, Johns Children, The Artwoods, Fleur De Lys, The Zombies, Yardbirds.
- Big ol’ pile of Classic Rock LPs including a first press first Black Sabbath LP. Also titles from Simon & Garfunkel, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Quintessence, Fairport Convention, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac etc.
- Loads of great Chicago House, Jazz, Techno and Disco from Pat.
- An awful lot of great Jazz and House vinyl from Toru.
- Small but nice pile of LPs including Q and Not U, Pigbag, Robert Wyatt, The Rolling Stones, Ennio Morricone etc.
- Some v nice modern Indie Rock, Punk and Rock LPs from Ween, The Clash, The Vandals, Roxy Music, Wilco, David Bowie, Grimes and many more. All very heavy vinyl issues.
- I sold in a nice batch of Reggae, Soft Machine, Jackie Mittoo, Carl Craig, The Durrutti Column, Roy Ayers, Descendents etc.
- Our best friend Nick the courier sold in some decent 45s from Bob Dylan, Tame Impala, Ramones and some Oasis CD singles.
- CDs and Vinyl from The Weeknd, Carole King, George Michael, Kasabian, Outkast, Gorillaz, Barbara Streisand and Omar Souleyman!
- Loads of great LPs including some decent Soul/Funk reissues, Wire, Silver Apples, Os Mutantes, Alternative TV.
- More great Rock vinyl fromn Siouxsie & The Banshees, Nick Cave, U2, Caribou, Pet Shop Boys, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metronomy etc.
- Rare Coldplay LP from Duncan.
Now of course when you can actually come in and buy it all is up in the air! But lets try to be positive.
For now – please let us know if you have a collection for sale via firstname.lastname@example.org and also feel free to let us know if there is anything you are after.
Here is a Top Ten form the wonderful Sam who runs Space Gallery in Folkestone with the also wonderful Andy.
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra “Not In Love We’re Just Hight” Love UMO; difficult to pick which one as all so differently good but this one is a great opener for an evening in space
- The Beach Boys “Pet Sounds” True greats, brilliant album, not ever remotely over playing pet sounds.
- Idles “Well Done” IDLES. a fabulous bunch of energy and honesty.
- White Denim “Sex Prayer” I really like white denim.
- The Fall “Touch Sensitive” Didn’t really get the fall until mark e smith died (glorious bastard). they are great.
- Kraftwerk “Numbers” Kraftwerk are great too.
- Sex Pistols “L’anarchie Pour Le UK” Always good to drop this into a space day/night; makes me smile.
- Fugazi “Waiting Room”
- Selomon Shibeshi “Endiet Zenegashiw” Came across this record by accident and really love all the songs on it.
- David Bowie “John I’m Only Dancing” No words needed; all genius all day forever
Space is an absolutely top bar/gallery in Folkestone, Kent. They put on loads of great bands and DJs – if you find yourself down in Folkestone you have to check it out! Not much better than beers in their beer garden!
Thanks to Sam and Andy and thanks to all of you for reading. Keep checking in with us and stay safe out there!