Well, hello there!
I hope this post finds you all well.
This Blog was written to the sounds of…
And of course the Wetherall Mellow Mix.
Lets see whats been coming in this week:
- A great pile of Jazz, Reggae and Soul from one seller. Plenty of Blue Notes, Roots Reggae 12″s, Dub LPs, Rare Groove – you name it. Artists such as John Coltrane, Brainstorm, Yabby You, Leroy Sibbles, Thelonious Monk, Sun Ra, The Viceroys, Bob Marley, Charles Mingus, Big Youth, Gregory Isaacs, Derrick Morgan, The Pioneers, Culture, Scientist etc. They’e apparently got a load more records for sale including some rare Garage Rock and Punk.
- Big batch of 60’s Ska, Rhythm & Blues, Rock n Roll and Jazz 45s plus a big batch of 78s (loads of Fats Domino). Perfect sound system material. Stranger Cole, Alton Ellis, Prince Buster, Laurel Aitken, Keith & Enid, Derrick Morgan, Desmond Dekker, Blue Beat etc.
- Excellent Indie / Rock collection featuring titles from The Pixies, Onehotrix Point Never, Sonic Youth, Soundtracks, Television, Lou Reed, Swans, Velvet Underground, Popol Vuh, Neu, MC5, Cocteau Twins, PJ Harvey, Spacemen 3, Faust, Scott Walker, Ride etc. Some really nice LPs here!
- Pat bought in a few Hardcore/Jungle collections with some great 12″s from Lewi Cifer, DJ Red Alert & Mike Slammer, Dillinja, Acen, Babylon Timewarp, Foul Play, Goldie, DJ Hype, Photek, Andy C, Nookie, D Livin, A Guy Called Gerald, DJ Exodus, Manix, Orca, Freedom Of Sound, LTJ Bukem etc. Also some decent Classic House, Chicago and UK Garage bits in these collections.
- Kris bought in a big ol’ stack of Japanese CDs including some great titles from Bjork, Judee Sill, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin etc.
- A pal of mine sold in some good US House and a few LPs from Aphex Twin and Autechre.
- Ben bought in an 80s Synth Pop collection with all the usual titles from The Human League, Soft Cell, Eurythmics, Pet Shop Boys etc.
- Toru bought in a fairly large Soul/Funk/Disco collection – fairly standard titles so a lot that ended up in the cheaps but the odd bigger 12″ such as Ryuichi Sakamotos’ “Riot In Lagos”.
- Some nice CD box sets from Cabaret Voltaire and the huge Harvest Records one!
- A large number of Nazareth and Judas Priest LPs.
- Small pile of Psych-ish LPs from Amin Duul 2, Grateful Dead, Queen, Cream, C.A. Quintet and a compilation on Margates finest label Psycho.
- Several Classic Rock collections featuring vinyl from Elton John, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Joni Mitchell, Duran Duran, Wings, Elvis, Eric Clapton, The Move, Peter Gabriel, Rory Gallagher, Gong, Heart, Iggy Pop, Hawkwind, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Love, David Coverdale, Davie Bowie, Morrissey, T Rex, Gentle Giant, Fairfield Parlour, Kate Bush, New Order, Tindersticks, The Rolling Stones, Strawbs, The Kinks, Bryan Ferry…
- Cool small Soundtrack and Library collection featuring a few duplicates. All titles were either promos or featured promotional inserts.
- Roots-y collection featuring a load of Folkways, some John Fahey, Stanley Brothers and the Grateful Dead.
- Tonne of 90s DNB.
- Some Pop vinyl from Billie Eilish, Slowthai, The Weeknd, David Bowie etc.
- Huge pile of Indie Rock CDs – hundreds.
- Quite cool pile of records featuring a finished Vaselines demo LP, My Bloody Valentine, Dale Hawkins, Eddie Jefferson, Joe Meek, U2 etc.
- Some Electronic stuff including some now hard to find Warp comps and the Space LP. The KLF Space not the other band.
- More interesting vinyl from Basil Kirchin, The Jamms, Neil Young, Jamie XX, Prince and Stereolab from one other seller.
- Cool stuff from another including a rare Fall LP, loads of Reggae CDs, German Oak LP and some more Philip Glass.
- I sold in a small pile including bits from Rita Lee, Fairport Convention, Led Zeppelin, Sleaford Mods, Vice Versa, Love and The Mars Volta.
Loads more came in than what’s there and we’ve had a load of great stuff in in the last few days that will go on next weeks blog!
A) Classic Rock
B) Reggae LPs and 12″s
C) Reggae CDs
E) Hardcore / Jungle vinyl
F) 90s Techno / Trance / Acid
G) Indie Rock 45s
H) Soul and Disco 12″s and LPs
I) Japanese LPs and 45s
J) More African LPs
K) Tonnes of Classical (including a lot of cheaps)
L) Cheap Dance and Soul
M) Heavy Metal vinyl
This weeks Top Ten is from Chris from Diat!
Somehow this got lost in my emails so please excuse the Christmas references.
Here we go then, Chris asked me to pick a top ten for the Recky Recs blog and I figured since you’re a record shop and it’s Xmas and all, maybe if I make a cheeky little list of want-but-don’t-haves you’ll be able to sort me out if you chance upon one or two of these some day?
MY TOP TEN RECORDS THAT ARE TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME TO BUY:
4. King Everald – Automatic. Got on a real digi dancehall trip this summer, probably thanks in large part to a Bad Boy Bress mix I came across in 2017 that first brought me to the Tempo Riddim.
7. The Spunky Onions / The Ghettoberries – The Spunky Onions Meet The Ghettoberries At Templebeat Records 7″ Not sure how much I even like this anymore but it used to choke me up.
10. fuck, is that it already? well let’s say it’s a toss up between The Limp’s – Marked Man 7″ and Sardine V’s – I Hate You EP (thanks Itchy Bugger), both NSW bands, again, should be at the top of the list actually
oh F*CK, make it a top 12 then cos I absolutely love this Bourbonese Qualk song called Return to Order off this Preparing for Power EP, this is probably my number 1 actually, wanna make music that sounds like this but with a heavier dub influence.
Till next week