I hope you are all well.
Completely mega week at Reckless last week with some amazing buying. The new sections are all done – we think they’re much better and should make shopping that little bit nicer. On top of all of the great second hand stuff we also have a load of brand new reissues that are at a bargain price from David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, John Coltrane. Brand New reissues of classic albums from as little as £6.
This BLOG was written to the sounds of:
THIS WEEKS BUYING
- Duncan was out at a brilliant collection of Classic Rock, Punk, Indie Rock, Psych, Prog, Hardcore, Blues, Garage, New Wave, Synth Pop, Heavy Metal etc. Basically loads of amazing classic albums (nearly all first pressings) in EX to Final Upgrade condition!!!! Pretty amazing really, hundreds of them too. Artists like Sex Pistols, Van Morrisson, Pink Floyd, Spacemen 3, R.E.M., Metallica, Talking Heads, Husker Du, The Clash, Chuck Berry, Gram Parsons, Judas Priest, The Dukes Of Stratosfear, The Jesus & Mary Chain , Guns N Roses, Joy Division, T Rex, Black Flag, Blondie, The Leather Nun, Cocteau Twins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Slayer, Rush, Spirit, Joni Mitchell, The Fall, Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly, Killing Joke, Green On Red, Love, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Faith No More, Iron Maiden, Bad Brains, Manowar, The Stranglers, AC/DC, Talk Talk, John Fahey, The Go-Betweens e.t.c.
- I was out at a collection midweek which was made up of mostly Japanese LPs and 45s. It was a very interesting collection thats for sure. Some super rare titles, and loads of records you just don’t see in the UK. The two rarest titles were People “Ceremony Buddha Meet Rock” and Minoru Muraokas’ “Bamboo”. On top of those two theres a lot of City Pop, Ambient, New Wave and Jazz. Some of the other artists are Dip In The Pool, Yasuko Agawa, Haruomi Hosono, Yasuaki Shimizu, Tatsuro Yamashita etc. As well as some great Disco 45s from artists like Kool & The Gang, Earth Wind & Fire etc with amazing Japanese sleeves. There are also another few rarities such as a Don Rendell EP. Absolutely amazing selection of records here (these have started going out by the way). Toru will be back from Japan soon so I imagine we’ll have loads of great Japanese records very soon.
- I was at another collection on Friday and it was absolutely amazing as well. Rough 4000 Cds and 800 LPs. The LPs were a real mixed bag but within it were several hundred great Minimalist titles from La Monte Young, Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Arvo Part, Terry Riley, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Gavin Bryars, Brian Eno, Michael Nyman, Pauline Oliveros, John Adams etc. Loads of great Jazz (roughly 10 Miles Davis LPs), Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Sun Ra, Max Roach, Keith Jarrett, Albert Ayler, loads of ECM LPs etc. Lots of Classic Rock, Singer Songwriter, Prog, Pop Rock too from all the classics: Yes, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Jackson Browne, Chris Squire, Townes Van Zandt, Emmy Lou Harris, Rush, Pink Floyd etc. Also a lot of really good Classical LPs. CD wise – as you can imagine with a collection as vast as this were pretty damn amazing. Hundreds and hundreds of amazing ECM CDs, CD Box Sets, hundreds of Classical CDs, loads of Durrutti Column, hundreds of Prog titles (including some modern-ish Prog/Metal crossover from Dream Theatre, Mastodon etc), rare Ambient, so much Jazz and a lot of Classic Pop too.
- Some of the best Reggae we’ve bought in for ages came in this week from a very nice chap. Firstly he brought in a huge batch of amazing CDs – and I’m talking tonnes of really great out of print titles. Loads of Blood & Fire, Trojan (original 80’s press!) etc. All the classics. Heavy on the Dubwise! Then the next day he brought in around 70 amazing 12″s – in pretty much unplayed condition, with crisp original sleeves. Loads of Greensleeves (including a load of rare ones), Sharon Little “Don’t Mash Up Creation”, Tapper Zukie, Barrington Levy, Wayne Smith, Yellowman, Lion Youth, Mikey Dread, Johnny Clarke, Shinehead etc. All killer. Then the next day he was in with a load of LPs – including a load of Trojan comps, an earlyish pressing of The Congos classic “Heart Of The Congos”, Augustus Pablo, The Upsetters “Blackboard Jungle” US original etc. Some absolutely amazing Reggae 12″s and LPs out right now don’t sleep.
- Factory Records vinyl Box
- LPs from Aphrodites Child, The Rolling Stones, Azymuth, some obscure Highlife LPs, Prince, full spread from Ravi Shankar, Sonny Rollins “Alfie” Soundtrack, rare Todd Rundgren, Kiss, Eloy (the amazing Inside LP – an LP I first heard at Ultima Thule Record shop in Leicester), a load of UKG and Grime, Kevin Ayers, Prince Buster, Twinkle Brothers, Cheap Trick, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Human League, Rush, Yes, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Scott Walker, Bob Dylan, Sex Pistols, Dusty Springfield, Jethro Tull and many more.
- A friend of ours sold in a great pile of LPs including titles from Nucleus, Bert Jansch, Leon Thomas, Ahmad Jamal, Ornette Coleman etc.
- Tamla Motown 45s.
- Interesting pile from one seller featuring Dexter Wansel, Aretha Franklin, Faze-O, Atmosfear, Earth, Wind & Fire, Main Ingredient, Jack McDuff, Van McCoy, The KLF etc.
- Another great pile of Reggae with original LPs and 12″s from Fred Locks, Dandy Livingstone (a really rare LP), Max Romeo, Little Kirk, Dr Alimantado, Leroy Smart etc,
- Some great Metal and Hard Rock CDs with a load from Iron Maiden, Slayer, Toto, Journey, Cannibal Corpse etc.
- Yet another great Reggae stack with originals from Horace Andy, Black Roots, Gregory Isaacs, Scientist (and a few Punk LPs from The Stranglers and The Clash).
- More good Metal CDs (Immortal, Bathory, Testament). The real deal.
- Stack of Classic Euro 45s featuring Depeche Mode, Francois Hardy, Queen etc. All with nice different picture sleeves to the UK variants.
- Bad boy collection of great Death, Black and Heavy Metal original LPs from Bolt Thrower, Chariot, Autopsy, KAT, Celtic Frost, Kreator, Pagan Altar, Agent Steel etc. Some seriously rare and obscure bits that I have to say had me rather hot under the collar.
Loads of the above has gone out, some is going to take a while to price up. Other bits that have gone out:
A) Tonnes of the Classic 80s/90s Rap CD collection
B) Classic Rock vinyl
C) More 90s Techno (we still haven’t run out). Including loads of rare bits
D) More US House (including some bad boy Detroit bits).
E) Electro Classics
F) Indie 45w
G) Soul 45s
H) Some obscure Ambient/New Wave records (MFM biz)
I) Ethnographic LPs
J) More African LPs
K) Tonnes of Cheaps (all the genres)
L) ECM CDs
M) Metal Tapes
Basically some absolutely wicked stuff has gone out this week.
No Top Ten this week I’m afraid!!!!
Keep it real!!!!!