Yo from Reckless!!
This blog was written to the sounds of…
I’ve just got back from a trip to Belgium and spent a lot of time walking round beautiful cities listening to this. I had a chanced to check out quite a few record shops when I was there and can recommend Music Mania, Hors-Serie, 72 Records and Veals & Geeks especially! I wish I’d had a car because I could have bought so many records and things from the flea markets too!
Despite being away my colleagues kept me in the loop with top descriptions, photos and videos of what was coming in…so lets get started!
1) Three mega rare pop LPs came in – “The Rainbow Children” and “Musicology” LPs from Prince and “Older” from George Michael. These are decent, clean original copies. They go for a horrendous amount of money, and we paid a lot for them but I think they are priced fairly. We did have a copy of “Older” not too long ago but it was £200 less and in much worse shape.
2) Another fairly large UK Garage collection; mostly classic titles but with a few obscure bits too. A smidgen of rare ones an all! Todd Edwards, Brasstooth, MJ Cole, Sticky, New Horizons etc.
3) Scott was out at a collection over the weekend. The collection consisted of 90’s Rap, Mod and Soul. The Rap titles were really top tier, loads of rare 90s LPs (in varying condition) from Snoop Dogg, Dr Dre, NWA, Slum Village, A Tribe Called Quest, Da Lench Mob, Souls Of Mischief, Mad Lion, O.C., The Pharcyde, Public Enemy, Run DMC, Wu Tang Clan etc. Serious heavy hitters, LPs and 12″s. The Mod bits were fairly decent – Weller related. The Soul was great too; from Aretha Franklin to the 3 Pieces. I was back in yesterday and I noticed loads of this gear flying out.
4) Sean bought in a few Fela Kuti LPs this week; I think one or two have sold but theres still one left on the wall – I have no idea why as everybody needs these.
5) Two sellers brought in some pretty funky, house-y, disco-y, jazzy bits; quite a few records – and all decent: Wolfgang Dauner, Jeremy Spellacey, Lianne La Havas, Joey Negro, Kiki Gyan, Arthur Russell, Kerri Chandler, Womack & Womack etc. Some very good records here, from originals to reissues.
6) One of my pals brought in a load of Cosmic, Afro, Reggae, Post Punk LPs and 12″s too. A lot of chuggers.
7) Quite a few sealed Indie LPs came in yesterday; Elliot Smith, Kings Of Convenience, Radiohead, Beach House, Deerhoof etc.
Some wicked stuff went out this week too…
A) Tonnes of 45s; from foreign picture sleeve 60s classics (The Beatles, The Move, The Who etc) to Indie Rock to NWOBHM.
B) More Blues LPs from the big collection – the more you buy the more we can get out!
C) Lots of Indie Rock LPs and 12″s, including a hell of a lot of 12″s from The Smiths.
D) Lots of the Rap and Soul collection.
Plus much more I’m sure, but I wasnee there!
Tonight the UK Rock Gods Blocked Toilet play The Gunners – I was witness to their band practise last night and I have to say I was stunned.