Hi from Reckless!
This Blog was written to the sounds of…
Heavy week this week, some really top buying! Plus we were even busier than last week!
1) Killer box of heavy Roots, Dancehall, Dub, Reggae 45s. Roughly 100 titles, US, UK and JA pressings. Nearly all first (and mostly) only pressings. This collection was exactly my era, and it was tough to not get a load of them believe me (so I just bought one!). In the collection: Yabby You, Telford Nelson, Augustus Pablo, Little Kirk, Don Carlos, Hopeton Lindo, Dennis Brown, Alpha & Omega, Dub Judah, Jah Shaka, Yammie Bolo, Nitty Gritty, Mighty Diamonds, Barrington Levy, Anthony Red Rose, Rod Taylor… Lots of really top titles. Beautiful labels. What more could you want?
2) Flashforward ten years and Dancehall changed a lot. We bought roughly a thousand 90s-Noughties Dancehall/Bashment 45s on Saturday. So many records. Tonnes of Luciano, Vybz Kartel, Beenie Man, Mavado, Ghost, Sean Paul, Buju Banton, Bounty Killer, Capleton, Ninjaman… There was the odd repressing in there (several Studio One titles, and a few 80s) but this is heavy on the lots of tunes on the same riddim. If this is your bag then we will soon have loads of these for sale.
3) Duncan brought in four top UK Jazz titles from The Mike Westbrook Concert Band over the weekend. Both the Marching Songs (I love both of these records so much), Celebration and one of my top ten LPs of all time “Love Songs”. Everyone goes on about Original Peter (which I agree is absolutely amazing) but its Love Songs No.2 which gets me every time. Ideal Summer country walk and a pint music. One of my favourite sleeves ever too.
4) Dunk also brought in a load of top Avant Rock from the 60s and 70s, Captain Beefheart, Van Der Graaf Generator, Patti Smith, King Crimson, Kraftwerk, Neil Young, La Dusseldorf, Amon Duul, Terry Riley, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Grateful Dead, Brian Eno etc. Condition is a bit iffy, but they’re all playable. Plus, at the price they’re going out at they will not last long at all!
5) One of our regular Jazz sellers brought in loads of stuff this week; from Blue Notes to reissues of rare Israeli Jazz Funk monsters. Theres a lot of records here, I put pictures of them all up on our Instagram. Check it!
6) Luke bought in some wicked Library bits over the weekend; and not the usual guff either, some really rare sought after ones. They seemed to sell super quickly but I did notice that some of them had been used for Dawn Of The Dead which is pretty dope. Weirdly we still have Rubber Riff the Soft Machine one which is absolutely wicked.
7) I bought in a top pile from one of my pals; lots of 80s obscure Thrash Metal, Italo Disco, Disco from Malaysia, Loefah on DMZ, some Library reissues, Power Violence etc.
8) Lots of new stuff came in this week; mostly from journalists. I remember some 60s soundtrack reissues, Brian Eno, Psych reissues, cool comp CDs (Scottish Indie, Hungarian Ye-Ye).
9) Stacks and stacks of Drum & Bass – including loads of really cool titles from Calibre, Paradox/Alaska, Seba, Bukem….all the right stuff!
10) Several rare Grime CDs came in – I do not know who they were by and I had not heard of them.
Lots of amazing stuff went out this week from our storage:
A) NZ/OZ LPs, including a lot of NZ and Australian pressings of rarities from Downliners Sect, The Monks, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones etc.
B) Indie Rock 10″s – stacks of them. Also loads of wicked 90s and 80s Indie LPs and 45s.
C) Hardcore and Jungle – a lot of it.
D) Lots more Blues, including more Python LPs.
E) Loads of Reggae – 45s and 12″s.
F) Tonnes of White Stripes stuff – which sold in hours.
G) Big 45 rarity from The Jellies – in the original sleeve!
H) More and more of the Detroit Techno collection – which is not hanging around lol!
Don’t forget we have the new Brainiac 5 CD in stock!!
No Top Ten this week.
I’m away this week but will be keeping all the interesting bits going up on the Instagram via the shop so keep checking, and as you know get down the shop for first dibs!