Well hello there!
This blog was written to the sounds of..
Dis week as been a mad 1!! We’ve bought so many decent bits!!
1) Tom went to a massive CD collection – around 3000 titles. The collection was very, very decent. Lots of very hard to find Psychedelic CDs – all those great comps. Lots of pricey Psych box sets. Many rarities. Also – Morricone, Disco, Black Metal, Punk, House, Reggae – you name it. If its decent its here. These are all in top nick too. Some seriously banging CDs here.
2) I bought a massive collection of LPs, 45s and CDs from a long time collector in Welling. It was a huge mixture – we went down on the basis that he said various Freakbeat 45s so I was happy when I got there and he had underestimated how many titles he had. Two rooms full of music!! I came back with several thousand titles. It was not all top end – there were a tonne of cheapies – but the kind of cheap titles that are actually decent – Byrds LPs that are a bit rough, Exotica titles, Private Press LPs. All of the titles you’d pick up from a chazza if they were a quid. Well they’re a quid here now too. Some of the really good titles were from Shirley Collins, Dorothy Henderson & John Renbourn, Neu, Faust, Legay, Captain Beefheart, loads of Basement Records, Wiley, The Beatles (including a Love Me Do), lots of Motown UK originals, a tonne of Rock n Roll 78s (Gene Vincent, Elvis, Buddy Holly…), loads of really interesting and obscure US Soul and Rockabilly 45s. Its a really interesting collection! There were also loads of nice 60s and 70s Record boxes – these are selling very quickly so don’t miss out.
3) Top Garage Punk collection – from the 90s to the present day. Lots of very cool records from Ty Segall, Jay Reatard, The Oblivians, Cheater Slicks, Reigning Sound, The Reatards, Thee Oh Sees, Pussy Galore. Lots of Crypt Records, loads of Goner Records!! These are all in nice nick too. We don’t get huge piles of records like this too often – check the Garage Revival section!
4) More bad boy Jungle and Rave 12″s came in – all smelling pretty ripe of some sweet sensimilla. Loads of Reinforced, Moving Shadow. Manix, Primary Source, Goldie, Aphex Twin, DJ Red Alert & Mike Slammer etc. Some of the greatest music ever made – psychedelia for a new generation.
5) As well as the original Love Me Do – we also had some other big Beatles rarities. Gold label Please, Please Me, an Indian 45, several clean UK originals and a load more 45s (like nearly 50 different titles!!).
6) One of our new member of staff sold in a nice big pile on their first day; lots of originals; Horace Andy, rare Soul, Rare Groove, Minimal Synth, Avant Garde, Jackie Mittoo. I think we can safely say that they are going to fit in rather well with taste like that lol!
7) More rare UK Jazz – this time more Nucleus LPs, and a rare EP from the EMCEE 5 featuring Ian Carr.
8) Loads more new sealed titles from people like Kylie, Gorillaz, Akira Soundtrack, Nirvana etc.
Several of us worked till really late last night because we’ve been out buying loads this week – so the racks are pretty stuffed today. Stuff that went out: loads of Garage Punk, more Hard Techno/Trance, Punk 45s, Classic Rock, Rap, new House and Techno….
This week we have a Top Ten from the always amazing Casbah Records!
Having lived in Greenwich for the last ten years I’ve spent a lot of time in Casbah, and as well as having a absolutely killer shop – they are all lovely people. I highly recommend you get down there pronto. I’ve got so much good stuff from there over the years – from rare Ska 45s to “Children of the Sun” by The Misunderstood to loads of issues of Heavy Metal.
TOP TEN BRITISH BUBBLEGUM & GLAM POP!
1) See My Baby Jive – Wizzard
2) Storm In A Teacup – Fortunes
3) Sugar Me – Lyndsey De Paul
4) Cinderella Arabella – Mike D’Arbo
5) Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) – Edison Lighthouse
6) Rupert The Bear – Jacky
7) White Horses – Jacky
8) Mathew & Son – Cat Stevens
9) Fire Brigade – The Move
10) Hot Love – T.Rex
I think we’re gonna get some more Top Tens from Casbah in the future so watch this space!
Check it: http://www.casbahrecords.co.uk
Till next week!