Hello from Reckless!!!
Busy busy week at Reckless, and I’ve been off sick!
We had a fairly quiet weekend after a heavy week; but the week has started with a bang as usual. Lets get started on the records coming in:::::
- Sean went to a really nice collection in Chiswick – the guy selling the records was an actor and had been in a Dr Who! He had some very cool records indeed including two biggies: the first Roy Harper LP on Strike and Shirley Collins with Davy Graham “Folk Roots New Routes” on Decca. Two incredible (and incredibly rare) Folk-ish LPs. As well as these he had a really decent Reggae collection from when he was working in Jamaica – including: Barrington Levy, Third World, Frankie Paul, Mikey Dread, Scientist, Desmond Dekker, Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, Eek-A-Mouse, The Skatalites, Linval Thompson, Inner Circle, Prince Jammy etc. Also a copy of Yard Style Christmas – imagine having an actor from Dr Whos copy of this??? There was also a lot of nice Blues, Classic Rock, New Wave, Jazz etc. Nice copies of classic records from John Coltrane, Fleetwood Mac, Blondie etc. A really decent collection – we are really happy with it!
- One of our pals popped in with a huge pile of all sorts of oddities this week: Psych comps, new Ambient titles, Chanson, Dancehall 12″s, Japanese Experimental reissues, Industrial, UK Jazz etc. All sorts of nice and interesting titles. In my state of illness I can’t quite remember exactly what was there but I did put out a Mike Westbrook LP (one of the Marching Band ones with the amazing “Waltz For Joanna”) and some compilation LPs on Psycho – the amazing Margate “reissue” label that did Psychedelic Freakbeat comps as well as Wipers. I remember I used to go into the shop in the Old Town when I was a kid and buy all sorts of things. It had loads of killer Grateful Dead posters on the walls and looked a bit like a Head Shop.
- A chap from Lebanon popped in with a major pile of really good Metal and Hard Rock (as well as a rare Brian May LP): some real classics in here – Cro Mags (the incredible “Age Of Quarrel”), Morbid Angel, Sacred Reich, Pantera, Slayer, Exodus, Onslaught, Mercyful Fate, Sepultura, Blitzkrieg, Nuclear Assault. Also a bunch of fairly underground but sort after Hard Rock and Twiddly Metal titles that will excite some.
- A friend of Scotts popped in with loads of Rap and a big of Indie – two biggies from Cannibal Ox and Super Furry Animals – then loads of decent bits from People Under The Stairs, Run DMC, Black Lips, Beirut, ONYX, Ghostface…
- Another batch of very clean Reggae came in – including some UK original Trojan titles (front laminate oldies) in shrink! Also Rico, Bob Marley, The Pioneers, The Wailers, The Skatalites, Burning Spear, Dr Alimantado, The Royals, The Upsetters etc. These are in really amazing condition!!!
- More Hardcore Jungle n Garage! From Simon Bassline Smith, MJ Cole, Tom & Jerry, Mole The Dipper, DJ Mayhem, Uncle 22, Tuff Jam, Johnny Jungle, Bug Kann, Cloud Nine…Loads more where these came from!
Loads of super bits have gone out this week! Tonnes of CDs – loads of Japanese Soundtrack cds – including plenty of expensive originals (Akira, Ghost In The Shell etc), more Metal, Rap, Reggae. Loads more 45s – including a load from all over the world and a nearly full batch from The Cardigans. More NZ tomfoolery too. The Saints “I’m Stranded” went out and was instantly reserved. Loads of Soul and Electro flew out. I put out more Improv and loads of TOP Blues titles on Python and Blue Horizon.
The Lowest Form play this festival in sunny Margate this weekend.
We have loads more collections coming up this week so stay tuned!