This post was written to the sounds of Paul Hardcastle.
It’s been really mad at Reckless this week. So much buying came in that we were constantly making trips to the bank to get more money! Apart from the huge collection I bought a few months ago this must be the most vinyl that has come in to the shop in years. Hopefully this will continue! Lets get started!
- I went to a collection at the end of last week in South London to look at a pretty big collection of Metal and Noise/Industrial. I had been to the house a few times and bought a lot of stuff, this time – he wanted to sell everything that was left (including a lot of the best stuff!). All in all I purchased about 400 Black Metal, Death Metal, Industrial and Noise LPs, 800 CDs, 200 7″s and 40 Cassettes. There are so many killer bits here: artists like Blasphemy, Volahn, Suffocation, Atrax Morgue, Con-Dom, Abigor, Mystifier, Incantation, Ildjarn, Whitehouse, Malevolent Creation, Immolation, Necromantia, Emperor, Immortal etc. Some very, very underground titles here as well as the slightly more famous artists listed above. Super kult! Great to have such an underground collection in.
2) Two HUGE collections of UK Garage came in this week. Plus someone has started bringing in about 20-30 Killer UKG titles a week as well. The guy who is bringing in the smaller amounts is bringing in super clean rarities from labels like VIP, Confetti and Cash Trax. The first collection was about 300 titles, and had a mix of UKG, Grime and Hip Hop. The second collection was a bit larger (about 500 records) and had a lot of decent UK Garage. The collection went from clean but standard titles from Locked On to really rare ones from people like EL-B and Anthill Mob. Loads of these records will be going out this weekend. We haven’t had much UKG in for a while so pretty bonkers that it all came in at the same time.
3) One dude has been coming in twice a day most days this week selling his Metal, Garage, Punk and Rock bits. Its always a mix of vinyl and CD. To sum up what kind of bits are coming in his last pile included rare LPs from Pop Punk artists like Pennywise and The Offspring, loads of rare Sub Pop 45s, Autopsy CDs, Fat Wreck Chords titles on CD, Nashville Pussy/Turbonegro Garage rock singles and an LP by Part Chimp thats gone out of print. He says he has thousands more titles for sale; fingers crossed he has a load of unplayed 80s NYHC lol.
4) Classic Rock records have just been coming in by the boatload. I feel like Ive paid out thousands and thousands of pounds this week on Rock vinyl. Quite a few collections have come in:
A) 400 70s and 80s LPs from artists like Led Zeppelin, Motorhead, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Lloyd Cole, Elvis Costello, Hawkwind, Cat Stevens etc
B) about 1000 80s titles, Synth Pop/Indie/Rock from people like The Art Of Noise, Julian Cope, Depeche Mode, Soft Cell, Felt, The Smiths, The Human League, Spandau Ballet, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Tears For Fears etc. Some more obscure titles too. The collection included a fair few long out of print and slightly pricey titles from Kitchens Of Distinction, Marc Almond and Tony McPhee!
C) About 150 amazing condition Classic Rock and New Wave titles from artists like The Clash, The Vapors, Elvis Costello, The Undertones, Sex Pistols, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Devo etc.
D) More bigger name rock LPs from artists like The Cure, The Electric Prunes, The Who, Suicide, The Rolling Stones, Television, The Ruts etc
As a result of buying so much Classic Rock I also refilled all of the bargain vinyl – I probably put out about 150 Cheap (but really good) titles. These have been flying out so get in quick for a bargain!
5) Just the other day I bought a huge pile of really great Bollywood and Indian titles. There are great soundtrack LPs with Indian Disco nuggets as well as traditional Indian Classical music. These are in varied condition but maybe a little nicer than the average Bollywood/Indian collection! There are about 75 titles so these will take a little while to get out in the racks.
6) Saving the wildest Reckless purchase for sometime until last. We bought some super, SUPER rare Apple Acetates from Cat Stevens and Argent. Our in-house Beatles Expert had this to say about them:
“These are 3 of the rarest records we’ve ever had at Reckless
– acetates cut in the Beatles’ own mastering room on the top floor of 3 Savile Row
aka the Apple building, business HQ and scene, as any fule kno, of their final public performance together in 1969.
The Beatles had a studio in the basement at Savile Row which they would hire out to other bands when not using it themselves, and a production suite on the top floor, overseen by the legendary George “Porky” Peckham, where acetates would be cut for the Fabs and others. In this case, one features a collection of songs by Cat Stevens, some of which were unreleased at the time, and the second comprises 2 one-sided acetates featuring both sides of Argent’s prog banger “Circus”. How rare are theses Apple acetates? Well, in the 30 years that the shop has been open, this is the first time we’ve ever had any for sale. So quite rare, in other words.”
This weeks Top Ten is from Wull from legendary Scottish band The Hollows!
10- the dukes of stratosphear – chips from the chocolate fireball……..this is produced to sound like a 60s record and it f*cking delivers man!! It’s the band XTC doing their own version of sgt pepper and it’s f*cking glorious!!! Look out for the track collideascope, the vocals are amazing!!
9- Ryan Adams – Gold….blew me away when I first heard this, some f*cking gems on this, rich as f*ck writing and his vocals and lyrics are spot on with the times, he’s a f*cking great songwritier, he’s took the “American country” genre to new heights!!! Honourable mention -demolition
8 – black rebel motorcycle club – BRMC……first album, they’ve never been sleazier than this, the f*cking drums alone on “love burns” first track sets the tone of this and as soon as everything comes in it sets you up for a f*cking dirty ride on the rest of the album!! Honourable mention baby 81
7 – the la’s – la’s…….lee mavers is a f*cking genius, 3 minute pop songs at their very best!! I’m actually glad they only ever done 1 album because they done everything on the 1st album!! They leave you wanting more which is in my opinion is just the way to go out!!!
6 – the jam – the gift….I f*cking know….how not all mod cons or setting sons or sound effects….well this was the first jam record I bought and it’s close to my heart, when growing up my da played those aforementioned albums to death and he never played the gift….i love those other records but I always felt as if the gift that piece of my heart!! Ghosts is still in my top 5 tracks of all time!!!
5 – Simon and Garfunkel live at Central Park…… this is an album I’ve had in my ears and on the vhs since I can remember, since then I’ve obviously checked out their albums and I love everyone of them but I don’t know how many nights I’ve had with my uncle Dek and we end up sticking this album on and we sing our f*cking nut of to this gig!! It’s all about that album taking you back to those memories!!!
4 – the Beatles– magical mystery tour…. the very first Beatles record I bought, strawberry fields forever i still listen to this day and find something new, I love the Beatles, every album they have done I love, I picked mmt just for sentimental reasons but I could have had 4 of my top 10 filled with Beatles albums!!!
3 – the coral – the coral…..I seen the coral live in king tuts before their album came out, I went there with zero expectations and by the f*cking sword of he man I was a fan by the 1st f*cking note they played!! I seen them live another 2 times before the album had even hit the shelves, I couldn’t wait on this album coming out!!! Once it did it changed my whole way of songwriting and song structure!! I love this f*cking record, the playing the voice the f*cking scally madness of it!! Love everything about this mob!!! Honourable mention night freak and the sons of Becker!!!
2 – ocean colour scene – Mosley shoals……a f*cking perfect record in my opinion, this album changed my life, every song on this is f*cking huge even the slower more melody driven tunes are higher than the f*cking sun!! It’s my shadow gets a special mention because it’s just f*cking perfection!! This album never tries too hard and it shows, it’s just f*cking genius songwriting, amazing execution on all fronts!! Honourable mention- marchin already…one from the modern!!!
1 – oasis– definitely maybe…..this album changed my f*cking life!!!! Without this I know for a fact I wouldn’t be who I am man!!! I heard this when I was 14 year old and by f*ck it was like a bolt of lightning hitting me and f*cking instantly changed as a human!!! It made me pick up the guitar, it made my whole point of view change on what a f*cking no hoper like me at the time could be!! They came from the same schemes that I was growing up in and gave c*nts like me hope!! I can’t praise oasis enough for what they have done for me!!! Obviously morning glory and be here now would be in my top 3 but I had to change it up a bit haha!!!
Thanks Wull!!! Check out The Hollows here: https://soundcloud.com/the-hollows-official
Also check this amazing video of The Hollows doing a cover of Born Slippy!