Hello from the Reckless crew!
It’s been a mega busy work – with a few collections – and stuff flying out the door. We’ve got to clear out our Storage space over the next few weeks so expect a lot of bargains going out as we try to make space quickly!! This Blog post was written to the sounds of Ganksta N I P.
- On one of the sunniest days last week I went down to Surrey to look at a load of boxes of classic rock and indie. It was a pretty chill collection, nice family, decent records and an easy transaction where everyone was happy. The collection consisted of three peoples records so it was a bit of a mix, but mostly on the rock side. It consisted of Thrash/Heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Predator, Motley Crue, Motorhead, Iron Maiden), Classic Rock (Jimi Hendrix, Tangerine Dream, Free, Rory Gallagher, Fleetwood Mac etc) and a few more modern items (Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Beastie Boys, Arctic Monkeys…).
2) One of our pals who we hadn’t seen for a while popped in last week with a really great pile of records. It was about 40 titles and consisted of Rare Afrobeat, Reggae, House, Cosmic, Experimental etc. Some of the artists were Witch, Francis Bebey, Steven Halpern, Anima, Heldon, Richard Pinhas, Azymuth etc. Some really sick records actually.
3) A kind of similar collection came in from another friend of ours a few days before. But this time it was loads more records (maybe 150 or something). Some seriously cool records in this collection: Roland Young, Kraan, Laaraji, Between, DJ Nature, Ras Midas, Scientist, Holger Czukay, Marc Moulin…loads of Rare Cosmic, Reggae Disco, Boogie, Krautrock, Industrial, House, Ambient, Psych….you get the idea! So lots and lots of interesting titles out – I tried to get most out on Thursday but a few more may get sprinkled out this week.
4) I don’t know where it came from but I noticed the Varg “Star Alliance” Tape pack (on Posh Isolation) in the cabinet. Nice item!!
5) We had some nice soul and house come in midweek too. A super nice copy of Black Mahogani by Moodymann, a super rare promo 12″ of Love On A Summer Night by The McCrarys and some other more common titles from Sam Cooke, Bob James, Marvin Gaye etc.
6) We had two lots of really good Improv and Experimental records come in this week too. About 40 titles in total. Some super obscure (and fairly pricey titles!) from artists like Nurse With Wound, Whitehouse, Derek Bailey, John Butcher, Alan Tomlinson, Peter Brotzmann etc. All originals and all super tough to find!!!
This week also saw the return of the 45 king, who was back to pack out the singles racks again. Plenty of rare titles going out. Including a UK original copy of the Skull Snaps 7″. Expect loads more nice bits going out soon. Scott also packed out the Warp Records section in time for Field Day – as well as getting loads of Grime out and nearly finishing the massive Electro and Old School Rap collection (which you really have to see to believe – its in such nice condition!!). I should mention some of the more obscure titles have gone on our Discogs account:
We hardly sell anything on there, and if we do its usually something that hasn’t sold in the shop. If you see anything you like feel free to come and tell us in the shop and we can work it out there.
We have a few more collections this week – a huge Vertigo collection, a massive Steppers and 90s Hip Hop collection and a Jazz collection. Also Toru is due back so expect a wall of cool Japanese records – from No Wave to Anime Soundtracks. Yes Toru!
This weeks TOP TEN is from Nicole McKenzie of MIC Records (and you probably know her from her time at Soul Jazz too!!). Thanks Nicole you are a legend!!
“This is a collection of spectacularly UNRARE (new word) records, all stuff that I think is pretty exceptional and doesn’t sound like every other f*cker out there…”
- 79rs Gang – Dead & Gone (Sinking City)
- Dave I.D – Gore (STD)
- Young Druid – Young Druid (5 Gate Temple)
- Special Touch – Garden Of Life (TSR)
- LAPS – Who Me? (MIC)
- Severed Heads – Big Saints Reward 1988 – 1990 dubs (Optimo)
- Chris & Cosey – Trance (Wax Trax)
- Terri Wells – Just Like Dreamin’ (Philly World)
- Nnamdi Ogbonnaya – DROOL (Father / Daughter)
- Tribe Of Colin – Wide Berth (White)
You should go to this gig!